Feedback from Ron 08/24/11
- in general: Ron is very pleased with the top-level things
The Text Dilemma
- problem: annotations are obstructing the images: this should NOT be the case
- fonts ugly
- text gets in the way of things you want to see
- different direction needed: show information in left bottom corner
- two kinds of information
- software wants to show information (push)
- user requests information (pull)
- in viewers: minimal information
- in bottom left corner of Slicer GUI: medium details
- somewhere else (in the annotation module): full details
- cdash example: way of not to do it -> important information is covered by annotations
- ohloh example: good example -> first minimal, then under cursor more details when probing
- two kinds of information
- assign names (F1,F2,F3 for Fiducials, M1,M2,M3 for measurements, R1,R2 for ROI... ) and descriptions
- name appears in viewers
- description in bottom lower left on roll-over in viewers
- in annotation module: full details: Name, description, options
General Changes (Target for RSNA release)
- take everything out which does not work properly (except for critical functionality)
Targeting the Text Dilemma
- name+description in bottom lower left (Steve)
- possible problem: mouse over event on vtk widgets might not be easily realizable. Plan C could be a query mechanism, where the user requests this information through a keystroke or such (if annotation detail is not available we will only show slice information and add annotation detail later).
in viewers only name(Nicole)
- one letter naming checked in to svn 17837.
- using name instead of text checked into svn 17889.
Slim down the Annotation Module
get rid of text annotation
- get rid of bidimensional annotation
- just three annotation types: fiducials, measurements (ruler), ROIs
- done in svn 17835
ruler: ticks only in 2D, every centimeter, can be turned off(Alex)
- For now, turn off ticks in both 2D and 3D (Alex)
- Later, fix zooming in 2D, only have long (major) ticks at 1cm.
- Later, change to spheres for ticks (at 1cm) in 3D
handles for all annotations zooming behavior: should be like Slicer3(Alex)
- ROI needs a name in the future: requires infrastructure change (not for RSNA) (Alex)
- Later: don't turn off ruler visibility when endpoints are outside the viewport
Fiducials and Rulers show up in all slice views when they shouldn't
Fiducials and Rulers 'jump' on mouse over
- fixed in rev. 18042
Qt GUI Changes
- property dialog re-design
for RSNA: change default tab in property box: point tab for Fiducial, Ruler; ROI tab for ROI(Daniel)
sliders in fiducial properties jumps weird: should have dynamic range or 0..20 for the beginning(Nicole) - fix checked in to svn 17904
- size presets: medium is actual size, small and large presets (Nicole)
- property linking between elements of widgets so that the user has to change colors at one location
GUI: Qt Widgets(Daniel) (WIP uploaded to SVN 17896 and 17898)
- MRML: DisplayNode changes (Nicole) to be done post-RSNA
- add a button to change colour for all elements of an annotation (Nicole)
hotspot icons for ruler placement: new icons on wendy's todo list(Wendy and Nicole) svn 17993.
second eye should be removed(Nicole) - svn 18041.
allow display/editing of node names(Nicole) - svn 18041.
remove Create Panel(Daniel)
replace by toolbar - do we really want to have the toolbar 2x? No!(Daniel)
view transform in the toolbar: should be cancel(Daniel)
- add a key (maybe ctrl) to have it pause mode (TODO later - now just option to cancel).
screenshots and sceneviews go into toolbar(Nicole)
take out advanced panel(svn rev. 17835)
- changes related to linking properties (Jim)
- fiducial list, so that saving many fiducials do not creates so many files (Nicole)
- not creating a new node, will look at options to consolidate the fiducial files and support transforms of hierarchies of fiducials
Performance and Stability
- Testing (Nicole)
add multiple fiducials, ROIs, rulers for timing
- test named py_AnnotationsTestingAddManyFiducials (adds 20 fids) added in svn 17892. Memory leaks causes test to fail on dashboard.
- tests named py_AnnotationsTestingAddManyRulers and py_AnnotationsTestingAddManyROIs added in svn 17900. ROIs leaking even more than Fids and Rulers.
- (Steve) Run tests on mac to profile where time is spent
- Volume Rendering multiple renders when fiducials are present (may be inherent in the widgets) (?) (Will + Julien)
- Fixing why the annotations lead to slowdowns
- Fix random crashes (all)
- Undo/Redo - disable all GUI appearances of undo/redo. (Alex)